As the weather gets warmer, the desire to get outside and enjoy the fresh air begins to take hold. Having a place to entertain or just unwind can add a new dimension and enjoyment to your home. First, you have to decide what type of space you want to create. Whether you want to have an outdoor living room, a vacation-like spot or a place to meditate and enjoy nature, how you extend your living space is limited only by your imagination — and possibly your budget. Start with your vision and make a list of the things you want to have there. Then go for it! Choose a Theme
- Vacation spot – Decorate with bright colors for a festive, tropical look.
- Zen garden – Add a water feature, such as a fountain, for a calming effect.
- Nature hideaway – Surround a patio or porch with plants and trees to bring nature closer to your home.
- Furniture – If your outdoor zone isn\’t completely under cover, then make sure to choose all-weather furniture. Comfortable seating is key, so add pillows or cushions for extra luxury.
- Lighting – String lighting throughout the trees, under umbrellas or around fencing to create atmosphere. It also helps to make sure you can see where you\’re going once the sun goes down.
- Outdoor kitchen – Bring the food with you! Keep it simple with a BBQ grill or add other elements like a refrigerator, sink and food prep area. And, don\’t forget the beverages!
- Fireplace – Extend your outdoor evenings into the fall by adding a fireplace for friends and family to gather around.
- Borders – Define the borders of the area to increase privacy and separate the space from the rest of the yard or neighbors.